Post about general topics here

Moderators: fireman_343, Hundo811, MOTOHEAD52, JReid

Should I get a Grom?

Postby Luckystar64 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:18 pm

Just sent the last payment to Honda Financial for my NSF100. I'm thinking about grabbing up a 2014 Grom. The NSF will undoubtedly be an ongoing project, and I want something I can race right outta the box. Anybody besides me dig the Grom? Is that an F3 bike? And no-- the NSF isn't for sale at all. --L*64
(2) '06 Honda NSF100's

'04 Honda NSR50

(3) '03 Suzuki DRZ110's - near stock (4 play!)

'04/'05 Honda CRF150F's (pit bike racers)
Luckystar64
Carpal Tunnel

• Abuse

Re: Should I get a Grom?

Postby BKLYN » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:46 pm

My Grom will be here in a few weeks.
BKLYN
Corner worker

Postby Luckystar64 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:22 pm

Really? Are you planning on racing it, or riding it on the street? Not sure if I should get a Grom, or an NSR50. --L*64
(2) '06 Honda NSF100's

'04 Honda NSR50

Luckystar64
Carpal Tunnel

Postby fireman_343 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:48 pm

OMG!!!!! [rolleyes]
-CONRAD #4
04 NSR-125RR
90 FZR413 race bike
Team Quazzymoto Racing
Use it, I do:
TK Race Products
BNC Fitness / AdvoCare

"I do not fear death. I grasp it with both hands, and twist the throttle"
fireman_343
OYL Race Director/Site Administrator

Postby Steve-o » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:27 am

Luckystar64 wrote: I want something I can race right outta the box.

I thought that was you I saw in a "coffee shop" in Amsterdam a couple weeks ago...
Steve

OYL #11
WERA #111
AHRMA #027

87 Yamaha YSR
93 Honda RS85
96 Honda RS125
Steve-o
Carpal Tunnel

Postby turnone » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:39 pm

Everyone in the mini racing league wants a GROM (or close to it). But definitely not to race. I'd buy one but it fits the role my scooter does now and I can't justify, at least not yet. That thing will get crushed racing in any class it is legal for unless you dump a ton of time and money into. You have an NSF, please race that.

Biggie
Chris
turnone
Racer

Postby BKLYN » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:49 pm

I'm getting it to play on and teach my kids to ride. I don't think its a race bike tho. I did see 200cc kits for it and aftermarket exhaust for it too.
BKLYN
Corner worker

Postby BKLYN » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:50 pm

I think their should be a Grom class next year. :D
BKLYN
Corner worker

Postby Luckystar64 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:15 pm

The NSF is like the project that nobody can get right for me, or even work on at all. It's going to keep being a project until I either give up and put it back together stock, or it gets done to my satisfaction.

I'm either planning to get a Groro, or an NSR50. I haven't decided yet. That Grom will be a fine race bike, and Honda has it priced right at $2999. OMRL isn't a conventional racing leauge, and I'm not a conventional racer. I like to race cool and different bikes.

BTW-- If you read this Brian, post a pic or two of an NSR50 with that NSF bodywork if you have one. Thanks. --L*64
(2) '06 Honda NSF100's

'04 Honda NSR50

Luckystar64
Carpal Tunnel

Postby Luckystar64 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:08 am

OK-- I just spent an hour or so on the "GROM/MSX125" forum. I'm gettin' one! Go check it out, and see what's available for this thing. I'd prefer a MiniGP-- but the Grom is the easiest way to get on the track right away. They have a TON of $h!t already available for the bike-- pretty cool!! I'd post some pix, but I can't get them to load. ---L*64
(2) '06 Honda NSF100's

'04 Honda NSR50

Luckystar64
Carpal Tunnel

Postby Steve-o » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:30 pm

Luckystar64 wrote: I want something I can race right outta the box.

Luckystar64 wrote:but the Grom is the easiest way to get on the track right away. They have a TON of $h!t already available for the bike

Maybe we have different definitions of "right outta the box." To me that means replace as few parts a possible. Perhaps this is why nobody can finish that NSF for you. You seem to interpret things like that differently than most people would.
Last edited by Steve-o on Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve

OYL #11
WERA #111
AHRMA #027

87 Yamaha YSR
93 Honda RS85
96 Honda RS125
Steve-o
Carpal Tunnel

Postby turnone » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:20 pm

Luckystar64 wrote:OK-- I just spent an hour or so on the "GROM/MSX125" forum. I'm gettin' one! Go check it out, and see what's available for this thing. I'd prefer a MiniGP-- but the Grom is the easiest way to get on the track right away. They have a TON of $h!t already available for the bike-- pretty cool!! I'd post some pix, but I can't get them to load. ---L*64

You sure come across as one strange dude. You have a NSF, which you can race in F4 with ZERO modifications and there is only one other one that races (me).
You could buy a NSR and race with zero modifications in Stock NSR, or F4.

Or you could buy a street bike with 4 speed that is way heavier and strip off all the street items, maybe bodywork change, and tires. You could add a bunch of $#!@. But, I'm not sure where the disconnect is here, buying a Grom is definitely not an immediate way to go racing.

Do you really want to race, or just talk about it and plan for it? By the time you get a Grom, the season will almost be over.

Biggie
Chris
turnone
Racer

Postby Luckystar64 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:16 am

Biggie-- I've never met ya before, and I already don't care for ya. I COULD race any of the 10 bikes in my garage in OMRL if I felt like it, but most of them are dirt bikes. I already ride and race them every week from April until October. I don't consider riding dirt bikes on pavement fun when MX tracks have jumps, ruts, berms, major elevation changes, etc... As far as the NSF goes-- I want a new sub frame on the thing so I can run the RS125 tail I have sitting here waiting to go on it. I had a long tail on my Metrakit bikes when I raced them for the same reason. I flat out don't like the seating position of the NSF as it's too cramped. I'm wicked anal, and I like it when things are done exactly right. Not sure what's strange about that? This is a forum... we talk about building and racing bikes here. The Grom is a great new bike with a ton of potential, and a huge aftermarket following-- why not talk about it?

Steve-- I have no idea why a skilled fabricator can't put together a sub frame for me. I think it's because they have to think. I guess it's alot easier to do other stuff that's already diagramed for them.

All I'd do to the Grom is take off whatever street provisions it comes with, change the tires, bars, and add rearsets. I don't have to fabricate anything for it, but I'd imagine I'd want an aftermarket shock at some point. That's what I mean by an out of the box race bike. --L*64
(2) '06 Honda NSF100's

'04 Honda NSR50

Luckystar64
Carpal Tunnel

Postby turnone » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:57 am

Luckystar64 wrote:Biggie-- I've never met ya before, and I already don't care for ya.

It's okay. I'm less likable in person. Good to hear you are racing something.

Regarding the NSF, I felt very cramped on mine when I purchased it. My solution was to use NSR bars and it felt 100% better. I couldn't get around corners at speed until I swapped the bars. You are welcome to ride mine to test. It's the only change to riding position.

Biggie
Last edited by turnone on Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
turnone
Racer

Postby Luckystar64 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:49 pm

haha! That's more like it!

I think the bars are the same on both bikes stock-- no? I'm only 5'5, but I have kinda short legs and a longer torso. It's the top that seems like the issue. Legroom wise-- it's fine. I have a set of Battle Factory rear sets which solve the GP shift problem, and the pegs dragging problem. I just want the RS tail section on it for more room. I could light a fire under the guy who has it now, or I know one more metal fab guy whose local that I trust. I may run the project past him to see what he says.

Don't forget-- an NSR50 WAS a street bike too. When I first brought one to the track-- it was the same thing. Everybody was like, "Naw... that thing isn't any good!". A month later there were 5 racing in the club. I think Bryan actually has the first one I brought out there.

There are at least a couple Grom Forums going. Go on there and check out the tasty bits they have out for them. I bet you'll change your mind about racing one. They have wide wheels, and fuel injection which seems really cool. From the vids-- it looks pretty strong motorwise. Check out the forums-- THEN tell me what ya think. They have this '70's cafe racer bike that somebody built that looks amazing. --L*64
Last edited by Luckystar64 on Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(2) '06 Honda NSF100's

'04 Honda NSR50

Luckystar64
Carpal Tunnel

Postby turnone » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:27 pm

Luckystar64 wrote:I think the bars are the same on both bikes stock-- no? I'm only 5'5, but I have kinda short legs and a longer torso. It's the top that seems like the issue. Legroom wise-- it's fine. I have a set of Battle Factory rear sets which solve the GP shift problem, and the pegs dragging problem. I just want the RS tail section on it for more room. I could light a fire under the guy who has it now, or I know one more metal fab guy whose local that I trust. I may run the project past him to see what he says.

Don't forget-- an NSR50 WAS a street bike too. When I first brought one to the track-- it was the same thing. Everybody was like, "Naw... that thing isn't any good!". A month later there were 5 racing in the club. I think Bryan actually has the first one I brought out there.

There are at least a couple Grom Forums going. Go on there and check out the tasty bits they have out for them. I bet you'll change your mind about racing one. They have wide wheels, and fuel injection which seems really cool. From the vids-- it looks pretty strong motorwise. Check out the forums-- THEN tell me what ya think. They have this '70's cafe racer bike that somebody built that looks amazing. --L*64

The bars on the NSF are angled closer to the tank and made it impossible for me to ride quickly. I'm 5'10" with 32" inseam, so pretty normal proportions legs to torso.
I personally haven't had any issues with dragging any hard parts (I weigh 180#). I raced it half of last year with stock suspension. I had it resprung for this year. I prefer GP shift, and have on almost all my bikes. I did raise my NSR pegs and convert to GP shift.

I understand the NSR was a streetbike (In Japan). When sold in USA, it had all the street stuff removed, and needed nothing to race. It was sold as a race bike. As was the NSF. Weird how Honda made the NSF more cramped but gave it 4 stroke power which is better for adults.

Based upon your height, I think you would be surprised how much the bar angle changes how the bike feels.

I think the GROM is fantastic. I have had many small bikes and currently love my 2009 Aprilia RS125. I have had an RS50 and another RS50 that was 80cc. Both great little bikes. I still don't think the GROM will be that great as a race bike. Firstly due to air cooled 125cc with a 4 speed. FI makes it very cool but the race class currently offered, I don't think it will fit very well. Second is the weight of the bike. It's 20+% heavier than your NSF. Not sure you can ever get the weight down far enough. 3rd, parts will add up fast and it wouldn't be hard to spend another $3K on upgrades and then it won't likely still be streetable.

I want one and if I could go to get one right now for $3K, I probably would.

I just think you are starting another project that will take time to get right and make competitive.

But, I do hope someone brings one to the track, to either prove me right or wrong, either way, I'd like to know for sure.

Biggie
Chris
turnone
Racer

Postby Luckystar64 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:50 pm

That Aprilia is a FANTASTIC bike!! I've always loved those bikes. A guy up the street from me has a 2000 Cup Bike. If we raced on a regular track (other than CRP)-- I'd love to race a GPR50/80. CRP is kinda small for a 17 incher tho.

I had no idea the NSR bars were different than the NSF bars. I never had both bikes side by side before. I'll talk to the last fab guy in my area this week and see what he says about getting my subframe done. I prefer a mini GP to the "mokey" style of the Grom, but damn is the Grom a cool bike. If you knew me-- then you know I'm gonna end up with both.

If you have a home EM-- I'll send ya a pic of the Grom that somebody (likely in Thailand unfortunately) made into a '70's cafe looking bike. I always thought of building a steel tanked pre- '83 XR100 into such a bike, only with a modern CDI motor with a mild big bore. I'd post it on here, but somehow I can't get pics to load. Maybe if I use photobucket links. --L*64
(2) '06 Honda NSF100's

'04 Honda NSR50

Luckystar64
Carpal Tunnel

Postby turnone » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:58 am

Luckystar64 wrote:That Aprilia is a FANTASTIC bike!! I've always loved those bikes. A guy up the street from me has a 2000 Cup Bike. If we raced on a regular track (other than CRP)-- I'd love to race a GPR50/80. CRP is kinda small for a 17 incher tho.

I had no idea the NSR bars were different than the NSF bars. I never had both bikes side by side before. I'll talk to the last fab guy in my area this week and see what he says about getting my subframe done. I prefer a mini GP to the "mokey" style of the Grom, but damn is the Grom a cool bike. If you knew me-- then you know I'm gonna end up with both.

If you have a home EM-- I'll send ya a pic of the Grom that somebody (likely in Thailand unfortunately) made into a '70's cafe looking bike. I always thought of building a steel tanked pre- '83 XR100 into such a bike, only with a modern CDI motor with a mild big bore. I'd post it on here, but somehow I can't get pics to load. Maybe if I use photobucket links. --L*64

I'm pretty sure I have seen the pic as I have been paying attention to Grom news. Was the bike yellow or gold in color?

Biggie
Chris
turnone
Racer

Postby Luckystar64 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:27 am

White/off white with a red stripe. --L*64
(2) '06 Honda NSF100's

'04 Honda NSR50

Luckystar64
Carpal Tunnel

Postby HRCNICK11 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:40 am

I have a deposit on the first one at a smaller dealership.
Nick Goodman
2008 CRF150R 17's #651
HRCNICK11
Racer

Next
Forum Statistics